Vegan Fried Egg
INGREDIENTS FOR THE ‘YOLK’
(again see my Egg Mayonnaise recipe)
2 Tbsp vegan dried instant mashed potatoes, dehydrated flakes or powder (Edwards USA, Terrasana UK – also here is a link that will ship to Australia)
7 Tbsp (105 mL) hot water (may need a tiny bit more)
1 tsp nutritional yeast
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp kala namak salt, otherwise known as black salt – it has a sulphuric “egg” flavour, so is essential for this recipe (you should find this at your local Indian or Asian grocery store, or else available from Amazon US, or Amazon UK)
¾ tsp Orgram egg replacer (or Ener-G in the US)
1 tsp vegan margarine
1 tsp sunflower or canola oil (not olive oil, as that would alter the taste)
Make up your mashed potato mix, add margarine and other ingredients, and mash until consistency resembles hard-boiled egg yolk – it should be thick in consistency. Then spoon out half of the mixture, and set aside.
‘EGG WHITE’ INGREDIENT
1 349g pack of firm silken tofu (I use Mori-Nu) – Tip for this recipe :- you may wish to get the packet of tofu and place in the freezer for half an hour prior to opening it and cutting it up – makes for a firmer cut.
- No secret or frills, it’s firm silken tofu. Using a round cutter (mine was 7cm/2¾”), cut through the centre of the tofu block, so you should be left with a cylinder around 2” thick – this will yield around 4 egg whites. All you have to do is cut this into 4 equal slices with a very sharp knife (don’t use a serrated one).
- Next, with a smaller round cutter (around 3cm/1¼”), press out the centre of the first ‘egg white’, which will leave space for your ‘yolk’. Do this carefully, as the tofu will be very fragile, and repeat the same with each ‘egg white’.
- In the meantime, you will have extra tofu left – place this in a covered container and refrigerate. I use this to make the egg mayonnaise/salad the next day – I just put together some more yolk (it only takes a couple of minutes), and then just add the mayo, as per the recipe (see link above).
- Now heat up some oil in a non-stick pan. Meanwhile, take 1 teaspoon of the egg yolk (make sure it has cooled down), roll it in your palms, then flatten it slightly. Then, using the smaller cutter, cut out the ‘yolk’ circle, which will fit inside the centre of the ‘egg white’ perfectly. But don’t place it in there yet at this stage.
- Gently place your egg white in the hot oil, one at a time, in and shallow fry it until golden around the edges on both sides. Now flip it, and place your egg yolk in the middle to fit the puzzle so to speak, and press down a little with a teaspoon.
- Meanwhile add some hot water to the mix in your 2nd ‘egg yolk’ bowl, and stir all the time until you reach a smooth egg yolk consistency. Using a small teaspoon, pour a tiny amount of this in the centre of the egg yolk, but don’t agitate it. Then spoon some of the oil it is frying in over the top of the yolk, to seal the top, and sprinkle on some salt and pepper.
- Gently bring it out from the pan onto your toast, or your plate, and enjoy alone, or with your favourite sauce. We love HP.
- That’s it, you’ve homemade delicious vegan eggs FOR LIFE.